Monday 12 November 2012

'The Next Big Thing'



What is the Working Title of your Book?


It’s become the real title now. ‘The Grass Tattoo’

2) Where did the idea come from for the book?

I wanted a complete departure from the psychological theme of my first book ‘A Limited Justice’ into a real-world reason for murder, and in ‘The Grass Tattoo’ the themes of money, lust and the past come to the fore.

3) What genre does your book fall under?

Well, all my books are part of a Belfast-based murder detective series, based around a lead detective, D.C.I. Marc Craig and his team. They solve different crimes in Northern Ireland and often travel further afield as part of that. I like the idea of writing a series and following characters through the crimes, and through their own life challenges. I also wanted to set the books in a modern 2012 Belfast and Northern Ireland, to show people that it’s a beautiful, peaceful and modern place now.

4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Oh for my lead detective it would have to be someone who is believably half-Italian ,half Northern Irish so they have to be dark. The character is tall, very handsome  and in his forties. So I’d say that we’re looking at Dominic west or perhaps Aidan Turner…

5) What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

Murder can happen anywhere and for any reason.

6) Will your book be Self Published or represented by an agency?

It will be published by Crooked Cat Publishing


7) How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I had the book half-written in 2010 and then left it to one side. I picked it up again this year by which time I’d changed my mind about most of it, so had to rewrite. I’d say it took me about two months to re-write.


8) What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I love the work of Ian Rankin, especially his Rebus series of books, If someone ever compared my work to his I would die happy.

9) Who or what inspired you to write this book?

The desire to create something that shows the truly modern Northern Ireland the way it really is. And I write all my books for my mother who died at the end of 2008.


10) What else about your book might pique the readers’ interest?

I think the core characters, especially the central team, might make the reader care about what happens to them. They are the heart of every book. And I think that in ‘The Grass Tattoo’ the reader’s interest will be piqued by the clash of cultures and the greed and lust that drives them.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed this. I love a good murder!
    Looking forward to reading 'The Grass Tattoo' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy:) I think I write murder stories as therapy. Stops me committing them in real-life ha ha

    ReplyDelete